"What's the Big Deal About Internet Privacy?" Lesson 10th Grade Internet Safety
This lesson meets the following Virginia SOL guidelines:
C/T 9-12.5Make responsible decisionsgrounded in knowledge of digital safety and security best practicesthat pertain to various digital communication tools and methods.
A.Discuss and debate appropriate legal, ethical, and responsible behaviors concerning information and technology.
B.Model appropriate legal, ethical, and responsible behaviors when using information and technology.
- Investigate current issues related to legal, ethical, and responsible use of various types of technology and information.
C/T 9-12.6 Exhibit personal responsibility for appropriate, legal, and ethical conduct.
- Use best practices for online safety as defined by the divisions online safety program.
- Demonstrate responsible behavior, such as using strong passwords and avoiding high-risk activities.
- Model responsible behavior when using technology tools and software as well as various types of networks.
- Identify personal responsibilities in virtual relationships and demonstrate an understanding of the connection to legal, ethical, and responsible behavior.
- Identify positive and negative uses of social media and develop strategies to avoid risky or negative situations as well as how to report such situations to authorities.
A. Demonstrate an understanding of fair use and copyright law.
B. Respectfully collaborate with peers, experts, and others to contribute to an electronic community of learning.
- Apply knowledge of fair use and copyright law when developing presentations, products, and papers.
- Identify copyright laws that impact student work.
C/T 9-12.7Model digital citizenship by actively participating in positive activities for personal and community well-being.
- Demonstrate advocacy for and a personal commitment to respectful online interaction.
- Contribute in various ways to an online community.
- Model respect for the privacy of others.
A.Communicate respect for people when participating in group online learning activities.
- Apply knowledge about effective online communications to ensure personal communications are clear.
- Use rules of online etiquette when communicating with others.
Please use the following link to guide you through this lesson.
Teacher Lesson Guide
Review the videos needed for this lesson. They can be found on the "Teacher Lesson Guide" page linked above.
There are also teacher lesson plan materials and student handouts found on the page above. Review these as well before beginning your lesson.
If you have any questions contact your school's ITRT for help.
Below is an assessment for you to review with your class once you have completed the lesson. Please go over this assessment with your class and review the answers with them.