Operations Procedure Manual
The Operations Department uses a bid process to select the paper and chemicals used in the cleaning of the buildings that are used by the school division. The Building Manager at each location is responsible for maintaining adequate supplies on hand to perform the daily cleaning.
The Operations Department maintains a central warehouse for supplying the paper and chemical products which are purchased with funds allocated to the Operations Department.
1. The Building Manager at each location uses a computerized form to order the supplies needed to perform the daily cleaning task.
2. The form is preprinted with the location coded. The form must be filled out in pencil only. The form is picked up by the Operations Department storekeeper who sends it to the Central Office Data Processing.
3. The supplies are delivered by the storekeeper the following week.
4. If supplies are needed sooner than the normal delivery date, the Building Manager can phone the Operations Department at 853-2851. The Operations Supervisors will deliver the supplies and pick up a computer supply sheet for the items.
5. The form must be signed by the Building Manager.
|Monthly Fire Safety Inspection
The Monthly Fire Safety Inspection is used to monitor the various
Emergency Systems located in each building used by the Roanoke City Public
Schools. It includes many of the items inspected by the Roanoke City Fire
1. The building manager at each location is required to complete the Fire Safety
Inspection Check Sheet each month. Once this is done, the principal must sign
the form, which is then sent to the Operations Department.
2. The building manager is required to submit work request for any discrepancies
found during the inspection.
3. The operations supervisors will use the form as a follow up guide to monitor
any work request issued.
The Monthly Fire Safety Inspection Check Sheet is a pre-printed form. The
building manager will perform a walk through inspection of the facility each
month to survey the items listed on the form.
The building manager will arrange a meeting with the principal to review the
inspection. Any discrepancies that can be corrected on sight should be done as
soon as they are found and notations made.
Discrepancies that require repairs by the building operations department
should be reported immediately by fax to 853-2845.
The completed form must be signed by the principal and the building manager
and sent to the supervisor for building operations.
Energy Checklist for Holiday Shut Down
The Energy Checklist is used as a tool to aid in energy conservation.
Completion of this form each week and prior to every holiday should be a priority item and
will save on the energy usage at each facility.
1. The Building Manager at each location is required to complete the Energy
Checklist for Building Shutdown each Friday and prior to every holiday
2. The completed form is reviewed by the principal and faxed to the Building
3.The Building Manager should use the completed form as a guide when the
building is re-opened to make sure all items listed are operational.
1. The Energy Checklist for Holiday Shutdown is a pre-printed form. The building
manager will perform a walk through inspection of the facility each Friday and
prior to every holiday checking each item listed on the form.
2. The completed form is reviewed and signed by the principal and faxed to the
Building Operations Department at 853-2845.
3. The Operations Supervisors will perform spot checks of the facilities for
compliance of this requirement.
Quality Asssurance Program
The Building Operations Department is responsible for the cleanliness of the facilities used by the Roanoke City Public Schools. The quality assurance program places a numerical value on the cleaning effort of the operations employees.
The Operations Supervisors make monthly inspections of the facilities. This inspection is documented on a preprinted monthly inspection sheet.
A copy of this sheet is to be left with the building manager and the principal at each location. The inspecting supervisor may be reached at 853-2851 to answer any questions or address any concerns.
1. The Monthly Inspection Sheet lists the areas that are inspected by the supervisors. Each category has a numerical value placed on it and this percentage is deducted for each infraction noted.
2. The score is achieved by adding the total points on the inspection and subtracting this from 100.
3. A system wide average of 90 percent is the department's goal. Anytime a school falls below this average, the supervisor will arrange a meeting with the principal and building manager to set a course of action to
correct the problems.
|System Wide Summer Cleaning Program
The Operations Department provides total facility cleaning each summer. The areas cleaned are light fixtures, blinds, windows, counter tops, bookcases, walls, furniture, carpets, and floors.
The Operations Supervisors provide direct supervision during the summer cleaning. Prior to the end of the school year, work crews are formed and schedules are made.
The Operations Supervisors will meet with their prospective building managers to give them the cleaning schedule prior to the end of the school year.
The gym floors are cleaned and resealed as needed based on the condition of each floor.
1. The Operations Supervisors will inspect each facility prior to the start of the summer cleaning to determine the schedule for cleaning.
2. Facilities that do not have a summer program will be cleaned first.
3. All facilities will be cleaned prior to the return of the teachers.
4. The Operations Supervisors may be contacted at 853-2851 to answer any questions or if situations arise that need to be addressed.