This lesson meets the following Virginia SOL guidelines:
C/T 3-5.3 Make responsible decisionsgrounded in knowledge of digital safety and security best practicesthat pertain to various digital communication tools and methods.
A. Demonstrate knowledge of basic practices related to online safety.
- Use best practices for online safety as defined by the divisions online safety program.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the divisions acceptable use policy and consequences for inappropriate use.
B. Discuss and model responsible behaviors when using information and technology.
- Identify reasons for taking security precautions when using any technology, especially those related to the Internet.
- Demonstrate responsible behavior, such as using strong passwords and avoiding high-risk activities.
- Identify inappropriate or threatening interpersonal situations involving electronic devices and develop strategies to react to them safely.
- Behave appropriately in virtual groups and be proactive in preventing bullying behavior in an environment that provides anonymity to bullies.
Please use the following links to guide you through these lessons.
Rings of Responsibility
You've Won a Prize!
Private and Personal Information
Digital Passport- Communication: Twalkers
Digital Passport- Privacy: Share Jumper
Digital Passport- Cyberbullying: E-volve
Click "Download Lesson Materials" for all teacher and student materials you will need for the first three lessons listed.
For the Digital Passport activities, you will need to first create an account and then set up your class lists.
Please preview all materials and activities before using with students.
If you have any questions contact your school's ITRT for help.